Here is a short demo of my last gpu development involving particles and physics. Katana Particle System for Unity is a powerful and easy-to-use tool to handle millions of particles in real-time. Rendering and Physics are completely processed on GPU side through a compute shader. At this state, the tool is not finished but the idea is to put it on the asset store when finished.
- Handle emitter rate and radius,
- Handle forces and angular forces,
- Handle size over time,
- Handle age,
- Use gravity or not (from the Unity physic engine),
- Add some perlin noise on velocities,
- Register new collliders in the scene to interact with particles,
- Adjust bounce and impact factors,
- Supports soft particles rendering,
- GPU Collision Detection based on Unity Colliders (Cube, Cylinder, Sphere).
- Complex Mesh and Terrain Collision on GPU side,
- Force areas, attract and repel areas,
- All kind of Blend mode for rendering,
- Change color over time,
- Screen Space Rendering,
- Cubic Emitter.
This demo scene is running at 300-400fps with 100.000 particles all with physics interaction. But it can handle much more!! Look at my previous videos to check millions of them 😉